Monday, October 27, 2014

Have You Heard Of The Lululemon Stepford Wife Syndrome (Of NYC)





As a hairstylist I am very fortunate to be part of an on-going, creative team backstage at NYC Fashion Week. There's nothing like watching incredible fashion and hairstyles come to life just before they hit the catwalk….and the rest of the world. It’s a crazy, yet ecstatic environment.

Once Fashion Week ends, people always ask, "So what do you see as the latest hair trends?" My response has become the same as my mentor who always says. "It really depends on how the public is inspired and how they interpret what they see."

I love that response. Because there is actually room for an individual to express themselves while being influenced by the big designers, being inspired from the street and elsewhere. And of course, in the past how could NYC not inspire so many?






However, are New Yorkers expressing themselves less and less by following so call trends, both for hair and clothing?

In my opinion, it seems that young people’s individuality is being sucked dry by society's obsession to look like a celebrity or follow so-called trends…trends which are being pimped out by the media daily.

Hmm…come to think of it, there is a Lululemon, Stepford wives syndrome happening in Manhattan. This group likes to consider themselves the privileged ones. During the day, some sport hair extensions, which have been curled with a big curling iron, a fad that died over 5 years ago, (but whose counting) and all cloaked under a baseball cap, with some Lulu Lemon tights.



Then at night, they run to the blow-dry bar and have their hair fluffed, throw on a cute, expensive dress and feel they are ready to rule the fashion world... Yawn.
continue being individuals.

My personal feeling is that following a trend is really a thing of the 80's. When a client sits in my chair, I do my best to inspire them and lead them away from the "new normal." Um hello? This is New York City girls!!

Here are two you women I saw on the corner of 9th ave and 14th street, just chilling having ice cream. I just had to capture this because they were working what they were feeling. The colors, the head wrap, the hair honey, and the attitude.




I urge you all to dare to be different like we used to be. Mess it up, mix it up or just don't give a hoot. Remember, celebrities are trying to be individuals. Don't give up your individuality trying to copy them.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw a post from you explaining the chemical differences between a gloss and a glaze. I'm not a stylist (far from it), but you were able to explain HOW they work and why, not just the effect had on the hair. I appreciate this!

I googled you, and now I'm enjoying your blog! It's great! Love the stance on individuality in style!

Renee in Seattle

newer older